Using OpenVPN in GL.iNet routers
This docs is only related to OpenVPN client.
OpenVPN client is pre-installed in GL.iNet routers GL-AR150, GL-AR300M, GL-MT300N, GL-MT300A, GL-USB150, GL-AR750, GL-B1300 from firmware v2.19.
Download the firmware for each devices: http://www.gl-inet.com/firmware/
The newest firmware maybe put in testing folder: http://www.gl-inet.com/firmware/testing/
Note: You need to subscribe your own VPN service and get an OpenVPN configuration file (.ovpn) from your service provider. If you have subscribed but don't know how to download the configuration file, please read the section "How to get the configuration file".
This guide assumes that you have set up the router properly.
Create an OpenVPN connection
1. Go to OpenVPN page
Click the OpenVPN icon on the toolbar. It will ask you to upload the configuration files. This file can be a single .ovpn file or a zip/tar.gz file which contains multiple .ovpn files.
Be careful that some .ovpn files use separated ca, cert, crl files. These files must be zipped together with the .ovpn file before upload.
2. Upload your configuration file
Simply Drap and drop your file to the area indicated so that it will be uploaded to the router automatically. Next, the router will start to check the file. Refresh the page when you see the file has been successfully uploaded and the .ovpn file has been imported.
For zip/tar.gz file, the router will unzip the zip/tar.gz file and check each .ovpn file inside.
In some cases, it will ask you to enter your username and password. This usually happen when your configuration file can be downloaded without login your personal account.
3. Connect to the OpenVPN server
After refreshing the page, you will be able to configure the OpenVPN connection.
Please create the VPN connection by following the steps below:
- Check "Enable".
- Check "Force VPN" if you want to force all Internet traffic to go through VPN. However, you will lose Internet access if the VPN is disconnected.
- Then choose a .ovpn file which you want to use.
- Now click "Apply"
The router will show the connection progress. Once it is connected, you will be able to see data sent and received.
Manage ovpn files
v2.20, there is a simple ovpn manager where you can check the current list of ovpn files. You can purge all the files and start to use another vpn service.
We would like to add more functions in the ovpn manager, you can send us a wish list via email or in the forum. Some proposed functions (this doesn't mean this feature will come in the near future) include:
- Server and port probe: to detect if the server is online. This is useful if you are in a censored area and some servers are not accessible at all. But this process is very time consuming.
- To intergrate ovpn files into one. Generally the VPN service providers provides one ovpn file for each server then you will have hundreds of ovpn file. You can integrate these files into one and let the router to connect to a random sever.
- Delete, order and ranking servers. Now we don't have a algorithms to rank the servers, as you will not know the speed unless you try. We can record the speed if you have tried.
- Manage multiple VPN services. While most people just use one service, we don't know if this is necessary.
How to get the configuration File
We have tested different VPN service providers. Therefore, if you don't know how to get the configuration file, you can follow the instruction below according to your service provider. However, you have to contact your service provider for the configuration file if they haven't been listed below.
If you use other service providers and have problem of setting up the OpenVPN, please contact email@example.com
- Login your AirVPN acoount
- Choose Config Generator on the left and then choose Linux as your operating system. Next, choose your preferred server.
- You will be able to see the download page of the configuration file.
*Information quoted from Astrill official instruction
- Generate and Download Astrill Openvpn configuration ZIP
- Type a Description like OPENVPN_GUI.
- Click on ADD to my certificates button.
- Once OpenVPN certificate is added, click on Download button.
Download directly from: https://www.cactusvpn.com/downloads/
*Information quoted from ExpressVPN official instruction. https://www.expressvpn.com/support/vpn-setup/manual-config-for-linux-with-openvpn/#download
- Log in to your account.
- Once you’ve logged in to the website, click on Set Up ExpressVPN on the Active Subscriptions page. This will take you to the Downloads page.
- Click on Manual Config on the left side of the screen and then select the OpenVPN tab on the right. You will first see your username and password and then a list of OpenVPN configuration files.
Find the location(s) you want to connect to (e.g., Los Angeles, New York, Hong Kong), then download and save the .ovpn file(s) to your desktop.
Note: Please have your username and password ready, as you will be asked to enter them later in the setup process.
- Login your FinchVPN account via https://www.finchvpn.com/login.
- Go to the Download page and click Download under FinchVPN OpenVPN Config.
- Choose Linux
- Choose the protocol based on your preference. Generally, you can choose the first one “Port 8484 over UDP”
- Remember to tick the box to include your username and password before download the file.
6. Free VPN Software
Download by right click the links below and save as. US Server: http://freevpnsoftware.net/downloads/US.freevpnsoftware.net.ovpn UK Server: http://freevpnsoftware.net/downloads/UK.freevpnsoftware.net.ovpn
Download directly from: http://hidemyass.com/vpn-config/vpn-configs.zip
Download directly from: https://s3.amazonaws.com/ivacy-apps/openvpn-files/OpenVPN-Configs.zip
Download directly from: https://downloads.nordcdn.com/configs/archives/servers/ovpn.zip
Download directly from: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/openvpn/openvpn.zip
Download according to the service that you have subscribed:
For $2 customers:https://proxy.sh/s/openvpn
For $5 customers:https://proxy.sh/m/openvpn
For $10 customers: https://proxy.sh/l/openvpn
For $20 customers:https://proxy.sh/p/openvpn
- Download the file here: <https://www.proxpn.com/proxpn_mac_source.tar.gz.
Extract the file. From the folder “MaxOSX”, find and open the folder “config” and then “ssl”. You will see 3 files and 1 folder. Copy these 3 files “ca.crt”, “client.crt”, “client.key” and paste them into the folder “config”.
- Open “proxpn.ovpn” with text editor and delete the “#” in line 4.
You can also change to other services, including:
``` uk.proxpn.com - United Kingdom nl.proxpn.com - Netherlands sg.proxpn.com - Singapore seattle.proxpn.com - Seattle miami.proxpn.com - Miami
- Zip them into one file and upload to the router.
Download directly from: https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/heartbleed/linux/linux-files.zip
Download directly from: https://www.safervpn.com/support/articles/214036025-What-are-SaferVPN-s-OpenVPN-configuration-files-for-manual-setup-
- Login with your StrongVPN account and then you will be able to see the summary of your VPN account. Click “Change Server”.
- Filter the servers by clicking OPEN and choose one of the server from the list.
- Go back to accounts summary and click Account Setup Instructions.
- Click Linux/Max config file.
- You can find different servers on their webpage: https://www.tcpvpn.com/home. Choose your preferred server.
- Choose your preferred server location.
- You will see the download page of the configuration file. Click Dowload Config (.ovpv).
If you are using TorGuard, you need to login the control panel and generate the ovpn file from the "Tools" menu. Please select "All", using udp or tcp and select Cipher. Then press
Generate Configand the zip file will be downloaded automatically.
The username and password for openvpn connection is different from your control panel login. You can change the service username and password in Security manual. You can generate a random login username and password.
Download directly from: https://pseudio.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/attachments/8005828145
Download directly from: https://vpn.ac/ovpn/
The OpenVPN configuration files are available on the website of VPNBook: https://www.vpnbook.com/. The username and password are listed below the download link.
The OpenVPN configuration files are listed on the VPN Gate website: http://www.vpngate.net/en/ according to the server location.
- Click OpenVPN Config file under the column “OpenVPN”.
- You will see the download page.
22. VPN Unlimited
*Information quoted from VPN unlimited official instruction https://www.vpnunlimitedapp.com/en/info/manuals/how-to-manually-create-vpn-conf
Start out by logging in to your User Office, press Manage for the VPN Unlimited service, and follow a few simple steps:
- Select a device
Pick a device from the list or create a new one. If you are out of free slots, delete an old device or buy extra slots.
Choosethe desired server location
VPN Unlimited offers a large variety ofservers, namely 400+ in 70+ locations. In this case, let it be Germany.
- Select the VPN protocol
For the IKEv2 protocol, you will also need to specify your device’s platform.
- Create a configuration
Press Generate and you will get all the data required to set up a VPN connection.
We have checked a number of public vpn service providers and tested the compatibilities. What you need to do is purchase a subscription from them and download the ovpn files.
Here is a list of compatible services (v2.20).
Note: For service issues, please contact the service provider directly.
- TorGuard, https://torguard.net/
- Astrill, https://www.astrill.com
- FinchVPN, https://www.finchvpn.com/
- Free Vpn Software, http://freevpnsoftware.net/
- VPNBook, http://www.vpnbook.com/
- VPNGate, http://www.vpngate.net/
- VPN Area, https://vpnarea.com
- NordVPN, https://go.nordvpn.net/aff_c?offer_id=15&aff_id=12016&url_id=902
- PIA, https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/buy-vpn/glinet
- PureVPN, https://www.purevpn.com/
- TotalVPN, https://www.totalvpn.com
- Strong VPN, http://strongvpn.com/
- HideMyAss, https://www.hidemyass.com
- Proxy.sh, https://proxy.sh/panel/aff.php?aff=1458
- TCPVPN.com, https://www.tcpvpn.com
- Vpn.AC, https://vpn.ac/aff.php?aff=1424
- Proxpn, https://secure.proxpn.com/?a_aid=5ac450e27df6f
- ExpressVPN, https://www.expressvpn.com/
- Airvpn, https://airvpn.org/?referred_by=402389
- CactusVpn, https://www.cactusvpn.com/
- SaferVPN, https://safervpn.com/?a_aid=563
- Ivacy, https://billing.ivacy.com/page/22852